Want an easy, healthy, delicious meal to throw together? Put black bean burgers on your menu this week. They’re quick to come together, full of vitamins and fiber and trust me, they’re delicious. This time I put them on onion rolls, but choose whatever type of roll or bun you prefer. Also, feel free to add your favorite greens (arugula?) and other burger toppings. Also, feel free to adjust the heat and spices to your own tastes,,,,remember, play with your food and make it your own.
spicy black bean burgers with chipotle mayonnaise recipe
First, make the chipotle mayo, so the flavors have time to come together
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise with olive oil
Mix ingredients together well in a small dish.
Now, onto the black bean burgers:
- 1 20.5 oz. can low-sodium black beans, rinsed, drained and dried of excess moisture (I drain mine and put them into a paper towel lined dish in the fridge, overnight. If you don’t have that much time, just make sure the beans are patted dry very well)
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red pepper (I use roasted red peppers, to add a smoky flavor)
- 1-2 scallions, whites and greens, chopped fine (mine from the garden were huge, so I only used one this time)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350’
Place the black beans in a medium-size bowl and, using a potato masher or fork, roughly mash the beans up. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Form mixture into patties, then place on a pan that’s been lightly greased with olive oil. This batch I made just 3 huge burgers with but it will depend on how big you want them for the buns you’re using. These also make great sliders if you have the mini-buns.
Bake for 12 minutes and then flip the burgers over and cook for another 12 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before placing on bun with chipotle mayo and serve.
Yes, those are some of my half-sour fermented pickles on the plate! So, if you were wanting a new Meatless Monday recipe to try, this is a great one. Beware the mayo though – it’s definitely got a kick to it.